Tuesday 2 November 2010

Roundup

So, it's November. Yay? I don't know. I guess if your birthday's in November, then this fact will make you happy, if not, then not. I'm not really a fan of November, myself. I like October - it's nice and autumnal and there are lots of crispy leafy things and pumpkins about. And everyone likes December - properly Christmassy and wintry and whatnot. November's always left me a bit cold (literally and figuratively) because it's always so dark and there are no nice fairy lights about to make things brighter and more cheerful, just fireworks, and I don't like those - even though they commemorate what has to be one of the best known historical events in Britain - because I'm scared of loud noises. I'm a bit rubbish, really.

Speaking of historical events - October was Black History Month, and you may have noticed that I didn't write anything about it. This was not a conscious decision as such - I am trying to write about famous (and not so famous) events which happened 'on this day', and it is rare for non Western events to be well known in this country, so they rarely appear on the BBC History website, which is where I get most of my information from. Also, whilst I fully support the idea of BHM, I personally am going to try to celebrate famous historical events featuring people of colour regardless of when they happen, rather than just in one specific month - though I understand why it is important to have that particular month designated as a celebratory month in order to raise awareness of the issue. And also, I am an overprivileged young white girl who knows nothing, really, and I think that, until I know a little bit more, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing certain events justice. 

I'm not going to write anything else for today, as I need to write an essay, and I don't want to write about yet another war, or a natural disaster which killed lots of people. I'll hopefully return some time tomorrow with something a bit more cheerful to get through these wintry days. Bring your soup and knitwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment